Thursday, June 5, 2008

It has been Vacation Bible School week!

Wow, the last few days have been hectic! I should've been writing, but there hasn't been time. I haven't even read for leisure, as I had been doing prior to the last few weeks.

David and I donated our Memorial Day to help Robin and Micky do some moving. They were in that really awful early time of a move when you're still packing, but needing to move stuff out. We helped finish loading their trailer, then loaded David's pickup. I didn't move much since the tendonitis in my elbow remains an annoyance. But I filled a few boxes of pantry stuff and taped broken boxes. Just as we pulled out to head from Donelson to Fairview, the clouds broke open and torrents of rain fell. We drove a fair amount in pretty strong rain, then stopped to eat lunch at the Loveless Cafe. Yum! Thankfully, our 40-minute proposed wait was only 20!

Their new place is about 7 miles south of Loveless, and totally in the middle of nowhere, it seems. But it is cute. Just a two bedroom with basement. Very secluded. Just seems strange to go from being in the center of Donelson, with a landing pattern overhead, to a "holler" with poison ivy all around. I'm afraid I wouldn't do well there.

That whole week was spent finishing this crazy chair I'd been working on. David helped much with cleaning out the grooves, staining it, and dealing with attaching and reattaching the cushion seat. I don't want to see another one of those, ever. I undercharged her, so I lost money.

Then I spent the next several days finishing the first draft of teaching plans for Camp Kaboom. Hopefully there won't be too much revision and the bulk of the work is done.

Despite the stress of getting that chair out of the house Friday afternoon and needing to work on Kaboom, it was a tremendous feeling that day knowing I had a break from work. We started working Monday in Kindergarten VBS. I was a co-leader and was fairly frustrated with the curriculum. They offer just too much, plus it is so confusing. Also, the communication from leaders at church was poor. A lot of what I stressed over was unnecessary. I'll know not to volunteer next year.

The kids have been fun, though. We totally got slammed with an uneven boy-to-girl ratio. We've had 17 kids each day, with the addition of one on the same day another child was absent, so we had a total of 18. But 15 were boys! At least two have major ADD issues and needed extra attention. But we've enjoyed most of the personalities.

The air conditioning compressor in our wing at church was faulty this week. Of course, Nashville had temps in the 90s this first week of June! So most days we felt so gross and sweaty! Today was a tad better, since we saw a repairman yesterday.

We've decided the best part of VBS is the break for workers. They have a huge spread of food--everything from muffins and sweet rolls, to sandwiches, chips & dip, and desserts. The rally time has been not as bad as I expected. The catch is, you can't get those songs out of your head!

David especially enjoyed being the only male worker to accompany the boys into the restroom. Most of the church's lavatories have motion sensor soap dispensers. The little guys enjoyed getting the foamy soap out and pretending it was shaving cream! David said bathroom break was like a circus, even with just 5 boys at a time!

Today I heard a real funny. In rally, the mission money reporter mentioned the amounts the different grade levels have brought in. After she mentioned the preschool department of toddlers and babies, one little boy in our class said to another, "Babies are my worst nightmare!" So funny!

So, with tomorrow being the last day, we'll miss the young'uns, but will be glad to be finished. This commitment is the culmination of the triple threat commitments, lately, that have taken so much of my time. I look forward to the break!

The family met for supper tonight. It was nice. Natalie is still doing some interviews and always looking for new opportunities. She's still hoping to get good news from the doctor's office where she interviewed, but can't get an answer from the office manager. She has another interview tomorrow, but it is for part-time work, which means she'd still need another job.

Better go! Still need to finish preps for tomorrow's VBS.

Today I'm praying for Joyce, a coworker who has breast cancer. Reports are that surgery went well.

I'm very thankful for my church and the impact it makes for the kingdom.

Later!

No comments: