Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Beautiful Saturday

What a nice day! Natalie and began the day with Starbucks and a visit to Jason and Shelley's giant yard sale. I found a great footstool: cherry cabriole legs with a blue toile slipcover over an older upholstered cushion. It totally matches my bedroom and will go with the chair I don't have yet.

Then Nat and I went clothes shopping. Though I wasn't terribly thrilled with the choices, I did find a sweater set in royal. I do enjoy jewel tones! The cardigan is short-sleeved with some laciness, over a spaghetti-strapped camisole. Definitely a little different for me, but I think it will work.

The rest of the day was about a trip to Walmart and working on the teaching plans for middle school camp. Still have a little more work to do on that. And I didn't get to touch the chair caning job. Tomorrow!

In this blog I will reflect on some of my earliest memories. While I can't remember the first house my family lived in, I do remember living near a large church that had kindergarten or day care. I went to VBS one year and saw little pallets in the room, for when the children taught in that room got to take a nap. I remember thinking how cool that was! I wanted to take a nap at church!

That house was on a dead-end street, that backed up to Shelby Park. Just before I turned four, we moved to the house of most of my early memories. Rita was born soon after. The front and side yard were bordered by hedges of shrubbery, with little branches that were easily stripped of their leaves to become switches for paddling my legs! I also remember playing on the swing set in the backyard, picking strawberries from the small patch, finding an old 45 record near the garbage can, and the time when bagworms were so bad on the trees the worms were all over the house. This house was heated by a ooal furnace, and had a little square door on the side of the house where the coal truck would deliver loads of coal. That experience was always noisy and a little scary. Rita and I played in the basement a lot. She rode her tricycle all around, and we'd play Lord's Supper with our metal toy dishes, crumbled saltines, and Welch's. This house is where we lived when I had measles and mumps, where we hatched duck eggs, and where I got my first bike, first Barbie, and first watch. The tiny house became even tinier on school nights when I'd have to go to bed early, but the rest of the family stayed up to watch TV and eat popcorn! So sad! Oh well, I survived!! :)

Enough memories for now. I pray for Zach who is seeing God do some things in his life. He makes me proud!

Till next time!

1 comment:

robert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.