Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fun dinner and mixed feelings

The kids came over for Sunday dinner tonight, though it was Tuesday. I had splurged and bought a roast for Sunday dinner two days ago, but then they had lunch plans with friends. So we made it today. We--it was mostly David. He got the roast started before I got home. The kids (our new name for Zach and Marie), plus resident daughter Natalie, and David tried my new recipe for creamed corn. It calls for a 3-hour stint in the crockpot, but we skipped that and microwaved it to death. It tasted great, but didn't look like the corn I had when I got the recipe. I guess next time I'll use the crockpot! The good thing is that marriage has expanded Zach's food choices. He won't turn down Marie's meal, even though she used mushroom soup or something else he hates. He used to give me major grief. So it was important that the cream cheese in the creamed corn melt so he wouldn't know it was there! :)

Today a man we know from church was featured in a major news story, not in a good way. It really gives you a sick feeling, both for the possible crime and for what the person is going through. I'll never forget the time a couple of years ago at work when I started chatting with a young guy who worked for the caterers at the cafeteria. It doesn't make sense not to make conversation when you see the same people every day. He was a friendly guy, with a gentle quietness. Then one day he was on the news, arrested for physically abusing his child. It was so hard to believe. Truthfully, that sinful behavior lurks inside all of us; it is just the people on the news who do it and are caught.

This is random, but I saw a website today with cute photos. I don't recall the address, but if you search "piglet" and "dachshund," you'll find it. Such a sweet story of a mama dog and her adopted baby pig!

Well, that's two blogs in two days. I know you can't believe it. Thanks, Renee, for your encouragement!

No comments: